ESOL Scotland
ESOL ScotlandESOL Scotland

ESOL and Citizenship


On 8 April 2013 the Minister for Immigration announced that, from 28 October, applicants must prove they possess an appropriate level of conversational English (B1 intermediate) as well as passing the LITUK test in order to satisfy the Knowledge of Language and Life requirement.


To take the Life in the UK test, you have to register online at the website.


SQA has published guidance on the ESOL qualifications that can be taken to meet the English language requirement for citizenship. You can access a copy of the guidance here. For more information about the SQA ESOL qualifications visit the SQA website here.


The language test for partners looking to enter or extend their stay in the UK is offered by Edinburgh College, Edinburgh. More information can be found on their website.


Edinburgh College offer Trinity exams for A1 and B1 language level evidence. The A1 registration form can be accessed here. The B1 registration form can be accessed here.

For more information, please contact:

Elaine Smith, telephone number: 0131 669 4400 or email:


If you are a provider and would like to share your details here of the tests/qualifications offered that support visa and citizenship language requirements, please email Please also email us if the information provided here is incorrect.